Commitment: Absolute impartiality. The winner in the ring must be the winner on the score cards, regardless of nationality, race or location of bout.
Mental Awareness: 100% concentration on the fight from bell to bell; no distractions, whatsoever.
Personal standing: Be relaxed and self confident; well groomed; maintain low profile; seclude yourself from outside company; maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
Uniform: Black suit, white shirt, black bow tie and black shoes.
BASIS FUNDAMENTALS FOR SCORING
- A . 70%: Effective aggressiveness is the most important factor for winning a round. The scoring of clean punches with power, number and accuracy, whether moving forward, backwards, boxing sideways against the ropes or counter punching.
- B. 20%: Ring Generalship: If an advantage is not found in “A”, whoever dominates the round with boxing skills to control the action and does not allow his rival to perform.
- C. 10%: Pure aggressiveness. If in doubt at the end of the round, it must be scored in favor of the aggressor, the one who goes decidedly after his rival, who forces the action to win the round, against a boxer who only runs away and does not stop to fight.
THE MENTAL INSTANTANEOUS COMPUTER:
Based on absolute concentration, put your mental count to work at even, or 10-10, at the sound of the bell to start a round; have your mind compute instantaneously the actions defining a slight or clear advantage for one of the fighters, while mentally modifying or adjusting instantaneously the count of such advantage according to the scoring of punches, during the whole 3 minutes. If one of the boxers had total domination and hurt his rival during the action in the round, such advantage shall be considered to be total or absolute. If you could not find a winner and you have no domination for either boxer, it shall be definitely even.
10 POINT MUST SYSTEM
- 10-10 Couldn’t pick a winner.
- 10-9 Slight or close advantage.
- 10-9 Clear or definite advantage.
- 10-9 When both boxers are knocked down, but one of them wins clearly the actions in the round.
- 10-8 Advantage and one knock down.
- 10-8 Total domination or a beating by one of the boxers during the duration of the round, even when there is no knock down.
- 10-7 Advantage and two knock downs.
- 10-6 Advantage and more than two knock downs, but never lower.
Knock downs and point deductions must be scored at the exclusive discretion of the referee, even if you do not agree.
Do not keep separate score cards.
Each round is a fight. Don’t look back/Don’t look ahead.
Be ready to advise the referee if consulted on head butts.
Do not talk to the press without first receiving authorization from the British & Irish Boxing Authority Head Office and/or the event Supervisor.
Do not publicly criticize your colleagues.
Train yourself; practice continuously based on guidelines.
Accept and look for positive criticism.
Score your round; referee’s deductions noted separately in the fouls box, let the commissioner do the calculations.
And always remember, justice in boxing is in your hands.
EBC HEAD OFFICE & CONTACT DETAILS
Mr Stephen Smith
European Boxing Council
Tel: (UK) +44 (0)20 8202 8224